Front Page

The Grammar of History

The Grammar of Economics

The McGuffey Readers

The Grammar of Latin

The Grammar of Math

The Grammar of Energy

The Grammar of English

STORE


Thursday, September 11, 2008

PART II. Of our Misery by Sin, and our Redemption by Christ

Q. 12. WHO were our first parents?
A. Adam and Eve, from whom we are all descended.

Q. 13. What condition did God create them in?
A. Righteousness, Holiness, Knowledge and Dominion.

Q. 14. How did they lose their righteousness, holiness, knowledge and dominion?
A. By their disobedience to the command of God, in eating the forbidden fruit, desiring to be as god.

Q. 15. What condition are we all born in?
A. Sinful and miserable.

Q. 16. How do we perceive our condition to be by nature sinful?
A. Because I find I am naturally prone to that which is evil, and backward to that which is good; and foolishness is bound up in my heart.

Q. 17. How do we perceive our condition to be by nature miserable ?
A. Because evil, not holiness, is contagious. I find myself liable to many troubles in this life ; and the Scripture tells me, I am by nature a child of wrath.

Q. 18. What would become of us then without a Saviour?
A. I should be certainly lost and undone for ever.

Q. 19. Who is it that saves us out of this sad condition?
A. Our Lord

The Miscellaneous Works of the Rev. Matthew Henry

No comments: